Febone 1960.net Blog

To Know There Is To Go There

You are currently browsing the archives for the day Tuesday, March 31st, 2009.

Star Jones To Set The Record Straight With Oprah


Star Jones — whose rapid weight loss played into her rocky exit from “The View” in 2006 — denies she took an easy way out having gastric bypass surgery and without the changes, Jones was told she would have died.

“I’m still 300 pounds in my head some days,” Jones told Oprah Winfrey in a taped episode airing Wednesday.

Jones admitted she was scared to disappoint people and ashamed that she wasn’t able to control her weight.

“… I was an addict for all practical purposes, that I had never stuck to a real diet, that I’d never stuck to a real exercise program, and that when confronted by my doctor and the doctor said if you don’t make changes, you will die. I had no choice.” Jones said. “When you hear people say, oh, you took the easy way out, I would have longed for an easy way. It was not an easy way. It was this — the hardest struggle of my whole entire life and I still struggle.”

Jones responded to remarks by former co-host Barbara Walters that after the surgery, the show’s audience couldn’t relate to Jones anymore.

“I was hurt and upset initially,” Jones said. “I’m so sorry that I placed a burden on my colleagues. I never asked them to lie.”

Jones’ appearance is part of a show on losing weight in the public eye. Valerie Bertinelli and Marie Osmond will also appear on Wednesday’s show.

What’s Your Take On The Matter? Register and/or sign in and sound off!

You can also twitter the febone_blog

    follow me on Twitter


    Posted 5 years, 6 months ago at 7:40 pm. Add a comment

    Grieving Parents Plan To Bury Daughters With Their Murderous Brother

    Revelus Home

    Revelus Home


    BOSTON (March 31) –Two sisters and the brother who killed them with a kitchen knife will share a single funeral service and be buried together. Samantha Revelus, 17, and her sister, Bianca, 5, were killed at their Milton home Saturday. Police shot the girls’ brother, Kerby Revelus, 23, after an officer saw him decapitate the younger girl. A surviving sister, 9-year-old Saraphina, was recovering at a Boston hospital Monday after having surgery.

    Ernst Guerrier, a Boston attorney and family friend, said he spent Monday morning with parents Regine and Vronze Revelus as they made plans to bury the three together.

    They are still dealing with the shock and disbelief of losing three of their children,” said Guerrier.
    Guerrier said there was nothing to indicate Kerby Revelus “was capable of something like this or that this tragedy could have been prevented.”

    Kirby Revelus

    Kirby Revelus

    Kerby Revelus had been in trouble before, but his criminal record does not show anything close to the level of brutal violence he unleashed on his sisters on Saturday.

    In September 2004, he was charged with assault and battery after another sister, Jessica Revelus, then 17, called police and said her brother, then 19, had punched her in the face during an argument over a phone bill. Kerby Revelus admitted he punched his sister, and told police he was upset with her because she owed him some money, according to a Milton police report.

    Jessica Revelus declined medical attention and told police she did not want to get a restraining order against her brother. “Ms. Revelus told me that she was not in fear of her brother and had no wish to pursue the matter,” the arresting officer wrote in the report.

    Jessica Revelus told the Boston Herald that her brother had done two stints in jail.

    He was arrested for assault and battery in August 2004 after he was involved in a fight with several other teenagers.

    Then in December 2005, he was charged with carrying a firearm without a license after he tried to buy alcohol at a liquor store in Randolph. A store clerk called police when he saw a pistol magazine in Revelus’ pocket, and police later found the magazine and a handgun in Revelus’ waist band. He was sentenced to serve six months in jail, and was released in September 2008.

    Investigators believe Revelus had been agitated since Friday night, when he got in a fistfight with a neighbor in this tony suburb that is also home to Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick.

    Revelus attacked his siblings with a kitchen knife on Saturday while their grandmother, who neighbors say lives on the first floor, was doing laundry in the basement, investigators said. The children’s parents were not home.

    Samantha Revelus

    Samantha Revelus

    Saraphina Revelus

    Saraphina Revelus

    Samantha Revelus called 911, but the dying girl quickly gave the phone to Saraphina, Milton police said.

    According to Milton Deputy Police Chief Paul Nolan, the 911 call will not be releasedl.

    “It’s horrific. We’d be doing a tremendous disservice to the survivors if we released that. They don’t need to listen to that,” Nolan said

    Bianca Revelus was celerating her 5th Birthday when her brother took her life

    Bianca Revelus was celebrating her 5th Birthday when her brother decapticated her


    Nolan said an officer patrolling the neighborhood arrived less than a minute after the 911 call and heard screaming inside the apartment. He kicked the door in and saw Revelus decapitate his 5-year-old sister.

    As other officers arrived, Kerby ran into a bedroom and began to attack Saraphina. Two officers shot him, says Nolan.

    The parents were still making final arrangements for Saturday’s burials, Guerrier said.

    “The reasons why it happened, what happened, how it happened is still just a blur to them,” he said.

    “They can’t even imagine it.”

    What’s Your Take On The Matter? Register and/or sign in and sound off!

    You can also twitter the febone_blog

      follow me on Twitter


      Posted 5 years, 6 months ago at 8:44 am. Add a comment

      Domestic Violence Knows No Race and Apparently Age: 2 Boys Found Dead; Mom Rips The Courts

      Michael Connolly and his two sons, Jack (foreground) and Duncan, found dead in what authorities describe as  murder suicide

      Michael Connolly and his two sons, Jack (foreground) and Duncan, found dead in what authorities describe as murder suicide


      Amy Leichtenberg worried this day would come, and she begged the judicial system to prevent it.

      In court documents dating back to 2005, she detailed her estranged husband’s threats against her family and fought unsuccessfully to keep him from having unsupervised visits with their two sons. Michael Connolly violated the orders of protection against him six times, police records said, and he often vowed to kill himself rather than be separated from the boys.

      Connolly, 40, disappeared with Duncan, 9, and Jack, 7, on March 8, prompting a nationwide search. Their bodies were discovered Sunday near a Christmas tree farm in a remote area of Putnam County.

      Police described the deaths as a double homicide and a suicide, but released few details about the killings. The boys’ bodies were found in the back seat of their father’s 1991 Dodge Dynasty, while Connolly’s body was discovered about 60 yards away.

      Leichtenberg declined to comment Monday, but she issued a statement lashing out at the judicial system that allowed Connolly unsupervised visits.

      A bereathed Amy Leichtenberg sits by her kitchen table in LeRoy, Ill. near photographs of her mudered sons

      A bereathed Amy Leichtenberg sits by her kitchen table in LeRoy, Ill. near photographs of her murdered sons


      “No parent should have to bury their babies,” she said. “Duncan and Jack, Mommy loves you to the heavens and back.

      “I feel that the judicial system failed me,” she said. “I pray that the courts listen to the warnings from other parents like me.”

      Though Connolly and Leichtenberg lived in northwest suburban Algonquin for several years, much of their bitter custody battle took place in LeRoy, a small town near Bloomington where Leichtenberg moved with the boys after ending her marriage. She received orders of protection against Connolly there, including a current order, barring him from contact with her.

      Connolly, an unemployed pharmaceutical salesman, violated the order six times but was only charged with four misdemeanors between July 2006 and October 2007, McLean County State’s Atty. William Yoder said. He met with Connolly for an hour a few months ago at Connolly’s request and believed him to be “unbalanced,” Yoder said.

      He declined to discuss his office’s specific involvement in the custody battle.

      “This was a tragic event,” Yoder said. “This had the worst possible outcome.”

      Police began a search for Connolly and the boys three weeks ago when he failed to return them after a scheduled visit. McLean Sheriff Mike Emery conceded there was a delay in the Amber Alert about the abduction, saying the department’s initial attempt did not meet all of the criteria required for the notification. Pressed to discuss the delay, the sheriff said he would not criticize the investigation.

      At LeRoy Elementary School, where Duncan was in 3rd grade and Jack was in 2nd, the brothers’ desks had been left untouched since their disappearance. Blue and green ribbons, the boys’ favorite colors, were tied to trees, and parents taped pictures of the missing brothers inside their car windshields.

      “In small towns something like this affects the whole town, not just one pocket or one neighborhood,” LeRoy Supt. Gary Tipsord said. “We had prepared for a lot of different outcomes, but I don’t think any of us expected this.”

      Putnam County authorities discovered Connolly’s car about 5 p.m. Sunday near a Christmas tree farm about 8 miles south of Hennepin. Police say they do not know of any connection between the family and the secluded site.

      Police would not say how long the bodies had been there, if they suffered obvious injuries or whether a weapon was recovered.

      Connolly’s aunt, Joyce Connolly, said his family rarely saw him after the couple separated.

      “I feel sorry for Michael,” she said. “I know that sounds terrible, but he must have been so tormented.”

      Court records and police accounts portray Connolly as an abusive husband who tried to force Leichtenberg to stay in their marriage. He threatened to cut open her and her parents and once told Jack that he would find “a younger, prettier, nicer mama,” according to court documents.

      When Connolly sensed Leichtenberg was about to leave him in 2006, she said he pressured her to sign a paper giving him custody of the boys if they divorced. He also demanded his wife make a videotape in which she claimed to abuse her sons, Leichtenberg said. It’s not clear she did either.

      “He went into a rage again and told me if I didn’t get home he would kill me. I went home, and he told me if I ever take his boys again he would hunt me down and kill me and my parents and cut us open,” Amy Leichtenberg wrote in her petition for an emergency order of protection in July 2005 in McHenry County Circuit Court.

      Neighbors realized something was wrong with the couple’s marriage shortly after they moved into their Algonquin neighborhood in 2003. Friends described Connolly as “controlling” and “manipulative” toward his wife and sons. Leichtenberg often would use neighbors’ telephones to call her parents because her husband didn’t like her speaking with them.

      “She could never live a normal life,” former next-door neighbor Jim Gerardi said. “That’s the sad part about it, because he was watching every single move she made.”

      While Connolly was out of town on a business trip in 2006, neighbors said they helped Leichtenberg pack her car, and she and the kids sought refuge at a domestic violence shelter.

      Leichtenberg filed for divorce in May 2006 in McHenry Circuit Court. In her petition, she described hundreds of harassing phone messages her husband left for her and her family.

      In the messages, Connolly outlined stipulations for the divorce: He wanted visitation with his sons alone and one day a week with Amy alone and promised not to hurt them, court documents said.

      Leichtenberg withdrew the petition without explanation in December 2006. She returned to the family’s home in Algonquin, but neighbors said she hid inside the house and rarely socialized after the reconciliation.

      The couple separated again a short time later, and Leichtenberg moved to LeRoy, where a bitter custody battle ignited. She wrote in court documents in April 2007 that he had called her home and her cell at least 18 times.

      In a Tribune interview after the boys disappeared, Leichtenberg said Connolly was granted unsupervised visitation rights in December. She said she begged the McLean judge to deny the request.

      “All Michael would do is file his own motions, and the judge was basically tired of him and gave him what he wanted.”

      What’s Your Take On The Matter? Register and/or sign in and sound off!

      You can also twitter the febone_blog

        follow me on Twitter


        Posted 5 years, 6 months ago at 5:40 am. Add a comment